Friday, January 18, 2008

Kerry Eyman, Massage Therapist, Rolfing Student

Kerry Eyman
I began my path of healing touch at the age of 3 by working on my Mother’s tired feet. After 19 years of feeling compelled to ease the pain of others I decided to make a legitimate commitment by entering a massage program. I spent 2 years of my practice working with a Chiropractor, which afforded me many learning opportunities in a clinical setting. It was there that I developed a more structural understanding of the body and learned the wonders of Rolfing*. A couple of patients I worked with weekly for months had begun what is known as a "10 series". The change was so immediate and remarkable that I felt (and they felt as well) that I was working with a new body. As a prerequisite I received the 10 series and have experienced first hand the lasting benefits of structural realignment and the support of gravity. I have since completed 2 out of the 3 units towards Rolfing Certification in Boulder, Colorado and plan on finishing in July of 2008 and beginning my Rolfing Practice. I implement Rolfing principles by creating space around the joints and tissues, allowing for more options in movement. I work with the connective tissue that surrounds the muscles, organs and bones to encourage resiliency in the body. Another aspect of Rolfing that I am able to practice is "integration", which works with your nervous system’s ability to process the bodywork. More recently I have taken John F. Barnes Myofascial Release 1 to enhance my skill level until I can complete my Rolfing training.
*Rolfing is a system of connective tissue manipulation based on the theory that re-balancing and realigning the body with the earth's gravitational force results in more energy, increased breathing capacity, and alleviation of chronic pain. For More information visit www.rolf.org

No comments: